Amerikahaus Munich / Garage

Opening the 4th of May

The Munich Amerikahaus was opened on May 13, 1957 to house the institution, founded in 1945, that gave it its name. Initially run by the military and subsequently taken over by the United States Information Agency (USIA), Amerikahäuser were established in numerous German cities for the so-called democratic re-education of the Germans. Promoting the “American Way of Life” was at the forefront of this mission. The significance of the Amerikahaus for Munich’s cultural life became evident when its American funding was cut in 1997. The Amerikahaus Association was quickly founded with support from politicians, businesses, and the wider public to ensure that its work would continue. Artist Michaela Melián explores the music of the Amerikahaus record collection, as it was left behind by the Americans in 1997